It’s annoying to see a squirrel hanging from bird feeder and eating all the seeds that you’ve put for your birds.
There are squirrel-proof bird feeders (see the design on Amazon.com) that you can purchase online. If you’ve a bird feeder read this guide on what can deter squirrels from bird feeder.
Let’s get started:
How to Keep Squirrels Out of Bird Feeders?
To keep squirrels out of bird feeders, you need to use a metal pole (round type) and thin wire to hang the feeder 6 ft above the ground and 3 feet away from the pole.
Even using a metal pole will not prevent squirrels to reach their destination. You can try the below methods:
#1- Using a Squirrel-proof Pole
Squirrel has sharp nails and they are very good wall climber, can hold tree stumps with their fingernails. Using a squirrels proof pole will ensure that squirrels will not reach the feeder.
Squirrel Stopper Bronze Deluxe Squirrel Proof Pole
This Squirrel stopper is priced on the expensive side. However, it’s the best squirrel-proof pole that you can find online.
The pole is made of 16 gauge steel, powder-coated with a durable textured bronze finish and stands about eight feet tall when assembled.
When assembling you need 2 men to put it on the ground. The bottom section of the pole is equipped with a ground auger which will make installation easy and very stable.
The pole assembly is two-inch diameter tubular steel and features four arms to support 4 different bird feeders or other hanging objects such as birdbaths or flower baskets.
Cons: The internal squirrel defense section springs can unhook if you drop it. Difficult to reattach.
#2- Using a Squirrel Feeder
Many of us don’t mind giving a small amount of seeds to the squirrels. By using a squirrel feeder and restricting the climb in bird feeder, squirrels only have one option to go.
You should feed squirrels in winter days, as in winters they don’t come out much.
Uncle Dunkels Backyard Squirrel Feeder
Uncle Dunkels Backyard Squirrel Feeder, One Gallon Glass Jar Entertaining and Enjoyable Squirrel Feeder, Corn, Peanuts, and Seeds
- Entertaining squirrel feeder with gallon-sized glass jar for viewing squirrels eating corn, peanuts, and more inside the jar.
- This large squirrel feeder is a great alternative to squirrel feeders that allow large predators to terrorize squirrels while they eat.
- Handmade in the USA wooden squirrel feeder. Made by an experienced craftsman in Kentucky.
- A glass jar allows for peanuts and corn inside the jar to be kept out of the weather, while allowing for entertaining viewers of squirrels.
- Easily hangs on a tree in your backyard, large, but manageable.
This adorable squirrel feeder is constructed with a gallon-sized glass jar so that you can watch the squirrels eating the nuts or seeds inside the feeder.
The Uncle Dunkels Backyard Squirrel Feeder is made with two side holes for the squirrel to enter the feeder, and one hole leading to the open glass jar where the feed is. This unique design protects squirrels from predators that may otherwise terrorize them while they’re eating, such as hawks, dogs, or cats.
It’s surprisingly well-ventilated, as well, to keep the nuts and seeds dry, while also protecting the feed from the elements.
What We Like:
- Gallon-sized jar for lots of feed
- You can see through to the squirrel eating
- An affordable squirrel feeder option for the quality and size
- Made of quality materials
- Keeps squirrels safe from predators while they eat
- The glass jar is well ventilated and protects nuts and seeds from the elements
Overall, this is a great feeder to protect your bird feeders and the squirrels from potential predators, while also giving you an entertaining look into the animal world.
American Heritage Industries Squirrel Picnic Table
American Heritage Industries Squirrel Picnic Table- Picnic Table Feeder for Squirrels with Corn Holder
- PICNIC TABLE SQUIRREL FEEDER- Beautiful cedar table for your playful neighborhood squirrels to sit at and eat corn on the convenient corn cob holder
- SQUIRREL TOY- This fun toy will keep your woodland critters entertained, and you will be entertained as well; You and your family will watch in amazement as squirrels sit at your backyard restaurant to dine on dry corn, sitting at a table like little people!
- AUTHENTIC CEDAR- Cedar is a naturally weather-resistant wood; This model comes as a rustic and authentic wood; The natural roughness of the wood will smooth out with rain and wind, while the cedar will change color over time; This wood is free of any stains or treatments that could be harmful to the squirrels
- HANDMADE QUALITY- These cedar squirrel tables are made by hand here in Cleveland, OH; The harshness of the weather here, and the changing seasons, means we’ve tested these tables through all sorts of conditions; Handmade wooden items come with a quality and attention to detail that manufactured items, or items made overseas, often are lacking
- AMERICAN HERITAGE GUARANTEE- These squirrel tables come with the American Heritage guarantee; If you have any issues at all with your squirrel picnic table, or any questions, or customer service team based in Cleveland, OH will be here to answer any questions or make suggestions
Coming in at an affordable, budget-friendly price, the American Heritage Squirrel Picnic Table is super cute and great for feeding local squirrels corn on the cob. It’s in the shape of a picnic table and features two tiny bench seats and a table. The table has a vertical screw for securing the cob in place.
Simply screw this squirrel picnic table into the trunk of a tree, put corn on the cob in place, and watch as your neighborhood squirrels entertain themselves!
What We Like:
- Great price, even for those who may be on a tighter budget
- Adorable picnic table style
- Great for feeding squirrels fresh corn on the cob
- Made of sturdy, natural materials
- Screws onto the trunk of a tree to keep squirrels away from the ground and safe from domestic predators
All in all, this squirrel feeder doesn’t offer much variety in terms of feed, but it’s simple to clean and easy to use!
Pennington Cedar Squirrel Snacker
Pennington Cedar Squirrel Snacker Feeder, 2.75 LB Capacity
- This multi-functional feeder can be used for squirrels or birds
- Holds up to 2.75 pound of seed
- Constructed from beautiful, renewable, weather and insect resistant Eastern Red Cedar
- Attracts squirrels and chipmunks or birds
- Easy to fill and clean
The final favorite squirrel feeder of ours, the Pennington Cedar Squirrel Snacker not only has a cute name but has a lovely construction to add to the scenery in your yard. It can hold up to nearly 3 pounds (2.7 pounds, to be exact) of nuts and seeds, and protects the feed behind a clear plastic pane to prevent spills.
This squirrel snacker doubles as a feeder for birds and features a large platform for squirrels or birds to rest on as they eat. The Snacker is made out of naturally weather-resistant cedar wood and has a beautiful color to it. This feeder is easy to hang and includes a mount for hanging on the side of a tree. The top of the feeder opens for easy access for refilling the feeder.
What We Like:
- The plastic pane holds feed in place and prevents spills onto the ground below
- Multifunctional for both birds and squirrels
- Beautiful construction
- Holds nearly 3 pounds of seeds and nuts
- Naturally weather-resistant
- The top of the feeder opens for easy refilling
- Comes with everything you need to mount the feeder
Will vaseline keep squirrels off bird feeder?
Vaseline is a petroleum gel that you may be thinking of applying on your bird feeding pole. However, if the pole is made of PVC or metal it’s best to use oil-type greases like old engine oil, expired vegetable oils, etc. Lubricating your pole is going to stop the climbing of critters like squirrels.
What grease to use on bird feeder pole?
The best greases are oil based products like coconut oil, used engine oil, transformer oil, etc. You can use them on your bird feeder pole.
When it comes to how to keep squirrels out of bird feeders, there are a few ways you can go about it. Using a squirrel-proof bird feeder with a pole that is specifically made for squirrels is our choice.
We hope this guide was helpful! If you’ve any questions, ask below.